The pages of almost all the articles and content on most websites are linked either externally or internally. When the link is from one page on the website to another page on that same website or domain, it is called internal linking whereas external linking links a page on a website to a page on another website. For this post, I will be focusing on internal linking, how and why it is important.
Internal linking can be said to be hyperlinks that are used to refer to a page of your website that has the same domain with the existing link. It helps to bring the (anchored) highlighted text in the link to the spotlight where search engines can recognize it and increase the ranking of the page. Internal linking is of great importance to the website owner, web visitors and search engines. It helps thee site owner exercise authority and full control of his or her site. As a website owner, it is necessary that every page on your site is linked either to or from another page to enable search engines find them and display their posts.
A lot of emphasis has been laid on back linking that people now neglect internal linking. Search engines like Google attach great importance to internal linking just as they do for back linking. Internal linking literally means linking a page to another in the same domain or website.
There are different types of internal linking that can be used to link pages of your site.
Navigational links: Navigational links helps to navigate website into an order that was structured. These can include menu links and breadcrumb links.
Footer links helps the users have an easy access to the most important pages on the website.
Contextual links also called editorial links are links embedded in the body of a page. It is the most recommended of all the three different types of internal linking used in posts.
HOW TO DO INTERNAL LINKING IN SEO
Operational internal linking is a necessity for search engine optimization. Its importance can never be overemphasized, its becomes a necessity to know how to link the pages of your website internally in order to make it more user- friendly and increase its ranking in the search engines. Some of the actions that you have to take to make this a reality include:
- Descriptive links should be used: When linking pages, it is advisable you use either the exact phrase or a phrase nearest in meaning to the major keyword that you are ranking the linked page to. Ensure you have internal linking in all your pages: To get internal linking in SEO, you have to ensure all the pages in your site are linked. If they are not linked, search engine will not be able to spot them.
- You should utilize your homepage as it has the most external backlinks. It is necessary you have direct link of most of your important pages from your homepage. Pages that are of less important to you should not be linked to your homepage.
- Internal linking in SEO in tells that you should make use of your high authority pages. You should add internal links to all those pages with higher authority.
- Your first internal linking should be done wisely. Google takes note of only your first highlighted text. Other internal links on that same page will not be recognized by Google Ensure to use a good anchor text in your first navigation.
- Deep linking: It is also necessary to build deep links as much as possible. Deep linking enables Google to see the pages and send traffic to them.
- Your links should be structured in such a way that the readers can open it in a new window. Most readers do not like losing their current page while trying to open a linked page. So set your link to be opened in a new window.
- Use follow links, they are the best way build the architectural structure of your content marketing.
- Your interlinking structure should include the different types of internal linking. While editorial is the best type of internal links, It helps users to navigate round your site
- You should regularly update your pages. It is necessary you manage your internal link properly. You can do this by constantly linking your new pages to the older one and editing your older pages from time to time.
- Make sure your internal links are accessible and not blocked by BRobots.txt file
- Link the higher authoritative pages to the less authoritative pages.
- Plugins can constitute problems to your links. They do not understand user experience which is the crux of internal linking. Avoid them when building your internal link map. Your internal link should be in HTML. Any link rooted within Flash elements should not be used as search engine spiders cannot crawl them.
- Make sure your internal links are easy to click. Let people be able to access the linked page without zooming. Your internal should be mobile friendly.
- Your internal lining should be focused on your users and how you could add value to them.
- Ranking power: It is necessary to plan your internal links properly. This will help the Search engine to optimally link your structure to look like a pyramid. It will naturally give the link authority to the most important internal pages.
When these steps are followed judiciously, you will be amazed at the result it will yield. Let’s look at the importance of internal linking in SEO.
WHY INTERNAL LINKING IN SEO
Internal linking is very important in Search Engine Optimization. It is a necessary tool needed for the development of your business online and also helps Google to effectively index pages. Some of its importance is:
- Improves your search ranking: Internal linking strengthens the overall search-optimized value of a website. Internal linking does so by providing clear paths for spiders, prolonged sessions for users and create connection of the pages.
- Spreading link juice: Internal linking in SEO helps you to improve your ranking on some relevant keywords. With internal linking, you can easily link your post to another keyword you want to rank for. When you are writing and discover you are writing something related to a previous post, you can text link to the page with the target keyword. This signals Google that the page is among our important pages.
- It provides the reader with additional information on the topic: Internal linking directs your site visitors and readers on how to locate the necessary information they need to get from your product or additional information about a post. It acts as a guide to where they can get a high value content.
- Advertisement: Internal linking can help you advertise your product especially if you sell products online. With internal linking you can direct your page viewer to the pages that will generate money for you.
- Internal link helps increase the rate at which your page will be viewed by users and decrease the bounce rate.
- Internal links helps provide hierarchy information of the important pages on your site. You have to link your important pages more often.
WHAT IS INTERNAL LINKING IN SEO
SEO which means Search Engine Optimization is a process of getting traffic through the editorial or natural search engine results. Good internal linking will help you get a good foundation in your SEO effort. Good SEO is all about creating a balance between your SEO content and the number of links. If not properly checked, you could get penalized by Google for placing unnecessary links in your website.
Before the inception of SEO, Google used its algorithm to rank websites. Websites were ranked based on level of the authority it had. The ones with higher authority were ranked higher.
However, Google had to change its approach to ensure that it is only higher quality websites that ranked top as online marketers were gambling their way into getting a higher rank even with low quality contents.
Internal linking being a key Search engine optimization tactic ensures that optimizing the anchor text is a necessity for external links to be trafficking on your website. When your Internal linking is search engine optimized, it will help guide your readers for additional options, improves the ranking of your keyword. It will help in crawlability of your website. Search engine optimized links can be used promoting events and other paid services.
The great importance attached to internal linking in SEO makes it a necessity to go about it the right way and not to abuse the advantage. Random linking on a particular page could result to penalty from Google. As far as internal linking is concerned, you just have to do it the right way and you will gain the advantages that come with it.